segunda-feira, 10 de outubro de 2011

A walk in the park - O que significa essa expressão?

Hey everyone,


Peso sempre é um problema para as pessoas. Poucas estão satisfeitas com o seu próprio. Uns querem ganhar peso que em inglês podemos falar put on weight ou gain weight e outros querem perder peso, em inglês lose weight.


People say that losing weight is no walk in the park.  When I hear that I think, yeah, that's the problem.  ~ Chris Adams 


A expressão "walk in the park" segundo o site UsingEnglish.com é: An undertaking that is easy is a walk in the park. The opposite is also true - "no walk in the park". Traduzindo: "uma tarefa fácil, sem dificuldade" comparada a um passeio no parque. O oposto também é verdadeiro - ou seja "no walk in the park" é uma tarefa difícil de ser realizada. Algo como o nosso "não é bolinho, não"


Na citação acima, o autor diz que emagrecer não é fácil, não. Claro, usando a expressão "no walk in the park". E completa dizendo que quando ele ouve isso, ele pensa, "sim, isso é o problema". E aí, usando a tradução literal da expressão. Ou seja, se você não se movimenta, não caminha no parque, é sedentário, não vai emagrecer mesmo. :D


Mais alguns exemplos:
High school was difficult, but it was a walk in the park compared to college law classes.
Installing this new computer system will be a walk in the park for him.
I took a Portuguese class last year. I thought it would be a walk in the park because I know Spanish, but it was really difficult.


I hope you like it,
See you next time!

2 comentários:

  1. It’s an interesting expression, Iramaia.
    Isn’t it really curious when we associate a word with another, like for example, using mind mapping? Not knowing the reason, I simply associated the word “park” with another expression “ballpark figure”, all of a sudden my brain pull it out :)
    Pretty funny though!

    ResponderExcluir
  2. Hi Marcelo...yeah, in my case it's all about music. I can always remember a piece of music related to some expression I'm learning. When I was younger I would sing lots of songs in English without knowing the meaning of the words. I just loved the sound of the language. I think nowadays they are all coming back. ;)

    Thanks a lot for your comment,

    ResponderExcluir

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...